New ROS package - uarm_metal

Hi All,

I’ve recently been working on a new ROS package for the uArm metal that I think is just about ready to be useful.

It takes an alternate approach to the original package created by Joey Song (GitHub - uArm-Developer/UArmForROS: ROS packages for Metal), that I feel is more ROS-like (makes more use of topics).

You can find the repo and here: GitHub - aransena/uarm_metal: uArm Metal ROS interface package and a discussion over on my blog here: http://www.aransena.com/blog/2016/9/13/uarm-controller

I’ll be putting up a few posts over the next while to detail the approach taken, along with a few other things I’ve been working on.

Hopefully this is useful to some of you, let me know any issues you find and suggestions that you think of.

Aran

1 Like

Hi Aran,
Since I started this thread, I’ve also written my own package, also moving more towards a topic-driven interface, usable by a ROS JointController. I’m currently modifying the URDF to make it usable in the Gazebo simulator as well. I’m working with my current client to allow me to release this as an Open Source contribution to the uArm community. I’ll take a look at your package and let you know my thoughts. I hope to have something to share with you and others soon as well.

JD

1 Like