OpenMV tracking.py problems

helloworld1.py is designed only for openmv so when you run it, it could show the images.
While tracking.py is designed for both openmv and uarm, since openmv is using another port of the arduino, so we have to do handshake before showing the images.
Showing image or not just caused by the different code of openmv, it’s not a real issue.

Later I will make a video to show more details about the arm.

@Adventurebox_Escape I just test the code, and find out that when running the hellowworld_1.py it also turns on the green led :disappointed_relieved: So this time I modify the code and if you run the tracking.py, it will turn on the blue led different from the green led of helloworld. I will change the pdf file as well. Thanks for your feedback, and now I am sure you didn’t upload the tracking.py to the openmv’s storage successfully. Please check the tips below especially the NO.1

There are few tips:

1,Upgrade the firmware to 3.1.9, and download the tracking.py to the openmv without any change. When the arm works with openmv we cannot connect the camera to the PC since it will be controlled by the IDE;
(BTW, there might be some firmware issue of the openmv, since it could not store the .py file sometimes, so after you download the code please keep the openmv IDE closed and plug the openmv again to see if the green light could turn on)

2,Finish all the wiring and assembling between robot and camera;

3,Power on the arm and send the command M2500 through USB cable. instruction Step 9
Then the arm will lift up.
(BTW, make sure the setting of arduino monitor like below)

Hi Tony,
thanks for the reply. Indeed the code was not on it. This time i unzipped directly to the openMV and named it main.py. Now the blue LED turns on…but still its not working!

STEP 3 is already not working out… the camera will not turn on. In my opinion there is still a glitch in the software/script. And yes i waited several minutes but in OpenMV IDE nothing happens. As soon as i use the example helloworld the camera instantly turns on…so the camera works, no hardware issue.

Anyway, i fullfilled all the other steps. After typing in the M2500 command i get a feedback on the serial port saying “ok”… so this works as well. But still, camera isn´t working neither in OpenMV and not in Blockly.

Any more suggestions, ideas? You need some more information from me?
It shouldn´t be an issue that i already cabled everyting else (STEP 5)? So i didn´t unplugged everytime i tried all the cables… i just powered off the uarm and used the micro usb of the uarm to connect to openMV…

Next thing: In step 7/8 you are writing put something under the uarm around 25cm… but i can´t do that because the arm has no power and is on the ground…of course i could hold it the whole time but i guess that was not the intention…only after step 9 (powering on etc.) i could put something beneath the arm

greetings Christoph

@tony Unfortunately following the latest guide (1.0.11) didn’t make the arm move.
In step 9 I’m seeing something different than the guide. The serial connection gives a python CLI instead and I had to change some line settings to make it responds. Screenshot attached.

Treid uart.write( something but nothing is sent to uart.readall().

@Adventurebox_Escape , are you using different models than M7? I’m trying to figure out why it seems I cannot send the M2500 right…

@Meatlover The “Both NL & CR” might be the problem for you, since we choose Newline. The baudrate should be 115200 as well.

@Adventurebox_Escape Just review the instruction, in step 3, we made a mistake, we should run the helloworld.py directly and focus the lens as well. Then in the step 4, we save the tracking.py to openMV.
BTW, did you make sure the openmv could turn on the blue light when just plug the USB cable to powe ron the modules without opening the IDE?

@Tony: I reviewed it more then 100 times…so it feels like.
I actually did that as well and focus the lens with helloworld.py directly since the camera wasn´t starting with the tracking.py

Yes, i stored the tracking.py using the micro-usb cable .and connecting it to the openMV. And yes it´s now showing a blue LED which indicates that the tracking.py found its way onto the OpenMV. And yes i just powered it on as well (just a micro-usb connection between OpenMV and the PC without OpenMV IDE running)

And yes, i openen Arduino IDE in the last step and sent the “M2500” command. I got the response: “Ok”.

I really have no idea what to do!!! Another question, in the script, there is no line/command about initialising the camera?! You are sure that the script is right? What else can i do? Would it help if i send you a video and do step 1-9???

Another thing: In you guide is a little mistake with the wiring pictures of the OpenMV. In one picture your are talking about pin 5 + 6. But in the other picture it is wired to Pin 4 + 5.

Please show me the video, it will help a lot. thanks

can u sent me an email adress where i can send you a link to?

So a fresh installation helped! Works now…kind of slow the movement but it worked :slight_smile:
Facial Recognition is not yet working in uarm studio right?? OpenMV just works via the handshake in Arduino IDE right?

@Adventurebox_Escape Nice to hear that, currently it only works in offline mode, and need the handshake in Arduino IDE. We are planning to make it like a simple modules as Grove. Then it could work with studio.
BTW, could you please post a video in our Facebook group? It would help others to use it easily as well. Really appreciate it!

1 Like

How are you copying the tracking.py to the OpenMV’s built in drive? It says insufficient disk space. Do you know if I have a microSD card and put the tracking.py and rename it to main.my it will work?

Hey @prvns , insufficient disk is a bug of openmv firmware, if you got this problem please try to upgrade the firmware again (even the same version). It will fix the problem and try to copy the tracking.py again to the disk. It should work, that’s my own experience. Thanks

I’m getting ‘No Power Connected!’ from the uArm when I turn it on, and after doing M2500, nothing happens.
I added a line to change the LED back to green when the ‘ok’ is received and it doesn’t change.

When I comment out the response code and use VIN power, UART from the OpenMV seems to be resetting the whole uArm.
If I use USB to talk to OpenMV serial port it just says None a bunch of times

Suddenly, mine is working after sending ok now, and the 'No power connected" went away. I think the flash memory on the OpenMV is to blame. A similar thing used to happen with the esp8266 in arduino and nodemcu.
Files would randomly corrupt and old code would get pushed back into the bootloader, making random resets and old code merging with the new like fucking westworld.

Hi @Tophness, no power connected means the adapter is not connected well. Please pay attention to it.
Since the power consumption of openmv is a little high, so if we connect it to the running robot, the robot will reset because of the voltage fluctuation.

You mean it’s bad to connect OpenMV via USB while it’s already being powered by the Uarm VIN? That’s the way it is with most arduinos. It’s probably a good idea to unplug the 5V to the uArm printerface if you’re already using USB?

It’s not harmful but it will reset all your settings of uArm. So it’s just inconvenient. Disconnect the VIN and power it by USB cable is a good idea as well.

In August already, I have submitted a pull request to the tracking repository that improves the code and adds some new functionality. Would someone mind and merge it, or reject it, hopefully providing a reason? Thanks.

Could you please send the link for the guide?

How about this one.