XY plane not parallel to working surface/calibration issue when drawing

Maybe you can let me have a try, thanks for your help in advance :slight_smile: And I am glad to see the part you mention at the wrist, thanks a lot

Hi serdan, thanks for your understanding. Would you please show me the picture of the joint, I want to make sure it’s ok.
BTW, here is a picture from my colleague. The elbow is completely destroyed.

Thanks for this opportunity to test how sharp is my new camera.

It has been 2 weeks from last reply. I’m very glad you guys have a well deserved vacation soon.

Any chance to provide fix for uArm calibration? It can’t print, can’t engrave, can’t cut from the day of delivery. The basic calibration is not resolved for 2 month already.

Just send you the message to confirm your order number, would solve it after the vocation, thanks

Guys, any update on the three point calibration?

.mm

Are there any updates? I have the same issue. THX

I’m also interested in this calibration solution - sounds like a great idea!

Hi there, I have also had this exact same issue as reported here from day 1. I have not progressed from drawing to laser engraving or 3D printing as the results are so bad it seems pointless to try.

I am running uArm studio 1.1.15-a1 with uArm firmware 3.2.0

I have tried running the blockly script you suggest on another thread
This seems to work OK but does not pick up on the XY plane misalignment, here is a video of this running;

Trying a drawing in uArm studio shows the pen lifting off issue;

I align the pen with a block under the universal gripper to ensure that the pen is touching the paper;

Here is a video of this running;
Imgur

As you can see in the video, the pen leaves the page quickly. I have also had runs where the pen digs into the page so much the base starts to rotate!

I have used the readout from the “move to” component in blockly to read off test coordinates on the drawing surface. I have then input these to Rhino3D to look at the best fit surface through these points. This shows a significant angle in two directions relative to the base.

I have tried the calibration routine recommended issuing commands M2019 and M2401 B using the Arduino IDE, but this has not improved the situation at all.

To the naked eye the arm seems mechanically sound with no obvious bent components.

I have never attempted 3D printing or laser engraving with the arm as I doubt it would work given the issues I have just with drawing with the pen. What can you recommend, do I just have a dud arm?

my videos and photos were blocked apart from one as I am a new forum user

Hi,

i’m also still waiting for a solution to calibrate the uArm in a way that works. I have not been using the robot for a long time because it is impossible to make good 3d-printing.
It would be nice to get any comment from the uArm staff concerning this issue.

1 Like

The uArm is another failed Kickstarter for me. Great hardware, software has issues that are still not solved after many months. The issue is also not random. I ordered two uArms and they both have exactly the same issue with the XY plane. uArm is only useful for learning and picking tasks. 3D printing, laser engraving or drawing: forget it.

I have used my uArms barely at all because of this.

I am also kinda fed up with uFactory sitting this issue out. I’m about to publish a blog post about this.

I have created a fuller post with all videos and images on the facebook group, I appreciate you are all on holiday, I hope you get the chance to respond fully after the break.

Edit… fb post:

hope this works…

Can you post a link to the post on FB?

Cheers,

.mm

Would someone from uArm have time to reply to this topic please?

Dear customers,

The Laser function will not be affected by the Z axis error if the error equal or less than 0.5mm, and 3D printing function could also work under this condition.
As the draw function, we designed a new flexible pen holder to make uArm Swift Pro has a better performance regarding to the draw function. We will send it to customer for free and if you need it please Email to support@ufactory.cc.

If you have any question(s) about that, you could contact support@ufactory.cc to get quick reply or contact us via Facebook(UFACTORY).

Notes:

How to calibrate: http://download.ufactory.cc/docs/en/uArm%20pro%20User%20Manual%20v1.1.0.pdf
How to get the reference position, please check the item 9 of this post: [Official] FAQ for uArm Swift (Pro) - keep updating

Keep updating:
The xy plane issue is mainly caused by both the calibration method and the encoder. For the method, single point calibration is not good enough to fix the problem. For the encoder, the linearity of AS5600 would be the problem which makes the position feedback less accurate. What’s more, the dimensional accuracy of each parts and gearbox may also affects. We want to apologize here for everyone who are suffering the xy plane issue and we would do a real-time post about the process of solving this problem to keep everyone updated.

1 Like

there are no files in the google drive when I follow the link above!
any thing more recent?

I am interested in the 3-point calibration as well.

What is the current status?

http://download.ufactory.cc/docs/en/uArm%20pro%20User%20Manual%20v1.1.0.pdf
please chekc the page 23 of this doc. Thanks