Speed while drawing

I’m using the drawing feature in uArm Studio and while it works, I’d like to speed up the movements. It appears as though the g-code to control the arm gets generated and saved in ~/uarm/Temp/files/gcode/ so I’m wondering if I can edit the g-code to speed things up. I’m guessing that I may have to then stream the g-code directly to the arm from another application instead of uArm studio, perhaps Universal Gcode Sender or something else.

Has anyone done anything like this yet?

I’d love to see some speed controls added to the drawing function, as well as smaller steps when setting the z axis touching the surface. It appears that one millimeter might be the smallest amount that can be moved in the z axis.

uArm Serial No.: UP130119010057
Firmware Version: 3.2.0
Operation System: macOS 10.12.6
uArm Controlling Method: uArm Studio

Answering my own question here… I found some python code to stream the gcode to the uArm, and after a bit of tweaking, it works. I don’t quite have setting the z properly automated yet, so that’s a manual process, but I can now create a drawing in uArm Studio, then grab the gcode file that is generated and run it much faster outside of uArm Studio.

I’ll probably write up a blog post detailing how it’s done.

Hello! Thank you for your research! That’s really interesting! If possible, I’d also like to know how that’s done. If you’ve created your blogpost, please let me know! :slight_smile:

Wow, nice!

I’ve released the code. Feel free to give it a whirl. I’m not an expert at Python, but what I’ve written (based heavily on other code) seems to work for me. If you have problems, let me know.