Using uArm for laser engraving/cutting?

I’m very interested in exploring the use of uArm to build a laser engraver (featured in some of their videos). I’ve been pricing low-end units and if I can find an “end effector” that can work I bet it would be possible to utilize the uArm tools (or others that exist) for doing a snap-on laser heard.

Any idea WHICH laser head to use? And how to use it?

I’ll be watching this space and trying to do my own research on this topic. Note: I’m a software person (heavily LINUX/UNIX) who’s stumbled into MakerSpace stuff … fascinated that I’m finally getting
into Arduino & other microcontrollers.

Charlie in Houston, TX

Hi there, glad to hear from you. uArm Metal is an affordable robot designed for the beginner. And it is designed to finish some simple tasks like positioning, pick&place, coding or remote controlling. So it can hardly finish the complex tasks like drawing,laser engraving. BTW, we are crowdfunding the latest product in indiegogo and the uArm Swift Pro should be the best choice for you. Thanks!

Judging by the date of the post, could it be possible that the OP meant the uArm Swift Pro? I’m backing the uArm Swift Pro and I can’t wait to get working on projects. I also want to know if the uArm Swift Pro can do not just laser engraving, but actual laser cutting?

Please let me know if the engraving head that comes with the pro pack is capable, or if there’s another head available out there?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for backing uArm!

But I’m sorry that the laser head for uArm Swift Pro is only 500mW, which is not enough for laser cutting (it may only cut soft/thin paper).

Due to hardware limit, there wouldn’t be extra head for cutting. Laser head of higher power is too heavy for uArm Swift Pro to carry.

would this work if so how would I connect it to the farm for power ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000mW-405nm-Engraving-Carving-Machine-Printer-Laser-Head-With-Violet-Light-K2Z9/132129043260?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Daae2191ff1034c149ae1fccf993db2d3%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

I am so sorry that this one won’t work. Since it’s powered by 5v. This one might work. 2500mW 405nm 12V

1 Like

Has anyone tried that one that tony suggested? I’m very curious if it works.

is it safe to assume that a laser module of 5000mW 12V with separate power supply could be used i found one on aliexpress for 147GBP same size and weight approx. surly the switching on off can still be controlled by the u arm swift pro, this would be a great cheap upgrade to an already awesome piece of kit 5W Laser Module TTL Mini Laser Engraving Machine 445nm/450nm blue laser Head with Adapter Free Goggles
http://s.aliexpress.com/uiA3IF3y

12V 5W is ok for the circuit in uarm. No external power supply needed.

1 Like

It’s the wiring that scares me. What do I connect where?

Hi Matthew,
at the uarm swift pro extension port you have permanent 12V available to supply your laser, but since you need the laser to be controllable by the firmware you will need a driver circuit wich can be operated with a 5V input, for my selfmade 3D hotend I used a BUZ11 Transistor, but you can also use another suitable FET, for 3D the D9 is used for the heating control and D8 for the fan control, I am not sure if it is the same for the laser.

1 Like

@FeKo That’s great, currently we are using D8 as the control of laser.