Custom end effector - what pins to use

Hi,

I would like to make a custom vacuum pump end effector that uses 24v.

I’m confused on what pins on the toolhead to use. I need to turn the vacuum pump on and off.

What pins should I use?
Do I need to use a resistor?
Is it possible to include pickup detection?

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott,

I recently completed the same process to build my vacuum end effector.

To trigger the pump you will want to use Pin 7 or 8. And that’s only to activate it through a relay/opto/Mosfet or something else of your own idea as the Tool outputs are not made to drive anything like a vacuum pump. Depending on the type of separation you will have between the control and power, I would recommend a diode to protect the control circuit. I do not have any resistors in my end effector.

For pickup detection, that is another thing, you will need a sensor to check on the vacuum, and you can connect the signal of this sensor to Pin 9 or 10.

Thank you so much for the reply Antoine! That is very helpful.

A few questions if you don’t mind:
Do you use a 24v relay for your build?
What size diode did you use?
Do you happen to know the voltage of pins 7/8 used for triggering?

Yes I am using a 24v relay for my end effector. Using Pins 1/2 and 3/4 on the load side, and pins 7/8 and 3/4 for the control side.
Since my relay is in fact an optocoupler, so diode base, I got rid of the separated diode, but during my testing and prototyping, both type 1N4007 (1000v – 1A) and type SF63G (150v – 6A) were fine. (That’s what I had on my hands to play with)
I can share the spec of it if you are interested.

For both input and output, the triggering voltage is 24v. I did not experiment to see how low would trigger since all my machines and everything I am playing with is 24v. But from the user manual, it seems anything above 1.6v is the high logic state, and below 1v for the low state. (Page 47 of the user manual)

Thank you so much for the reply!

If you wouldn’t mind sharing your circuit layout, I would really appreciate that! This isn’t my area of expertise and I definitely don’t want to hurt the robot.

Hi Scott & Antoine,

Yes, pin 7,8,9,10 can be used for custom vacuum pump.
0.5-1V is in low state, 1.6-30V is in high state.

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delay, it’s also not my specialty!
So here is my diagram.

circuit

A few pieces of info I learn while designing my end effector to help you with yours.

• Depending on your vacuum pump you will most likely need to add a solenoid valve to release the vacuum once you are turning off the pump, else your part or the vacuum network might be retained.

• I also added an LED to indicate that the pump is turned on.

Both of those elements are wired in parallel to the pump, on the load side of the relay.

For the sensor or sensors, depending on what you add to your end effector, the wiring is rather straightforward.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the help Antoine!

I just tested the vacuum pump and you were correct, a solenoid valve is required.