Debugging uArm Hardware problems

I just plugged my uArm Swift in for the first time in a long time and am having some problems getting it recognize the USB port.
I have the arm plugged into power and the power button pushed down. The User Mode button is up. I get a red power light but nothing else.
If I press the “Play” button, it plays back the teach-mode program I taught it fine.
A Bluetooth scan from my laptop shows the uArm Swift Bluetooth is available, but I can’t pair with it(I seem to have misplaced the Bluetooth dongle).
There is no connection to it in USB.
I’m running Linux and running lsusb doesn’t show an ATMEGA board like it has previously.
My username is in the /etc/groups dialout group.
It doesn’t seem to matter if I have the User mode button up or down. There’s no recognition of the uArm being plugged into a USB port.
I’ve tried this on two different laptops, one running Ubuntu Linux 18.04 and one running Ubuntu 16.04.

I’m wondering if the USB port on the arm is actually damaged. I recall it working the last time I used it, but that was for a project over a year ago.

Is there a way to connect to the arm via Bluetooth ? I seem to have misplaced the Bluetooth dongle it came with.
I would really like to be able to connect and talk to my arm again.

Thanks!

Hi, Have you tried using uarm studio to connect the robot arm?
you can control the uarm by the uarm studio.

I’ve tried using uArm Studio as well and it doesn’t see a port to connect to the Arm with.
I’m able to plug other devices into the same USB port on the same system(s) and they work fine.

Hi,your mean is that the uarm is not connected with the uarm studio when you use the USB port on the uarm to connect the computer?
your mean is the USB port of the picture below is damaged?

Yes.
When I plug a USB cable into my computer and the uArm Swift, the computer does not detect a device on the USB port. I’ve tried plugging it into a laptop running Ubuntu 18.04 and another with Ubuntu 16.04 and neither detect a device attached to the USB ports. Also, running uArmStudio on these computers does not detect the arm either.

I’ve also tried rebooting one of my systems into Windows 10 and running uArm Studio there and Windows doesn’t detect the arm. It does recognize other Arduino boards I plug into the same USB port.

Hi,you can open the deviec manager of the computer and check what is wrong with the USB port connected to uarm. Then please take a photo about the problem to me,we will better solve the problem,thanks.

When I plug the arm in, no new device shows up.
The device manager doesn’t see that there is a new device plugged in. Is there a driver that needs to be loaded? I can plug other Arduino boards into my laptop and the device manager recognizes that an Arduino has been plugged in.
I’m wondering if the board is damaged.

Hi,you can refer to the article :http://download.ufactory.cc/docs/en/uArm%20Swift%20Pro_Developer%20Guide%20v1.0.6.pdf
you can try the third method,and please give me a feedback,thanks.

Hi,
I don’t have the 30-pin interface on the back of my uArm. As I said in my first message, I have a uArm Swift, not a Pro.
Here’s the picture of the back of my robot with the cover removed.
This is a V1 arm I got from backing the Kickstarter. Please note the serial # on the bottom of the arm.

What are the options for fixing this ? Can I upgrade to a Pro ?

Hi,sorry for that,I posted the wrong article you need to refer to yesterday.
you can refer the article:【Trouble Shooting】-uArm Studio failed to connect to uArm robot
you can try the third method,and please give me a feedback,thanks.

Hi, you can check the trouble shooting link provided by Jane first. There is high chance that it’s a hardware issue located on the control board. If so, we are sorry for that, we already stop the RMA service for uArm Swift.
If you’d like to order a uArm Swift Pro, please just copy this post link and send to sales@ufactory.cc, sales team will verify the SN and then provide 20% off coupon for you to purchase a new set of uArm Swift Pro.
Thanks

Hi
I’ve tried this and I’m not seeing any serial port or ATMEGA2560 on either Linux or WIndows.
You don’t have any more boards for the Swift ?
Would it be possible to buy a Swift board and install it myself ?
Even with the discount, it would be very expensive for me to buy a new uArm Swift Pro.

I notice the Bluetooth on the arm still shows up in a Bluetooth scan. I can’t seem to find my Bluetooth dongle though. Is there a way to pair to the arm with the Bluetooth built into my laptop ? Thanks!

Hi,
(1) As we did stop the RMA service for more than 1 year, we do not have any materials/spare parts of uArm Swift in stock.
(2) It’s no possible to pair laptop’s bluetooth with uArm, you need Bluetooth dongle to pair them. You can use the phone to download the uArm Play APP to control the uArm Swift by Bluetooth, but the APP can only control the robot, it can not porgram the robot.
(3) We do provide refurbished uArm Swift Pro which is much cheaper than the brand new one for uArm old version product users. You can also copy this link to sales@ufactory.cc to get quotation if you want uArm Swift Pro refurbished version.

Thanks

It’s probably the Micro-USB port or cable you’re using is defective now