XArm 6 Joint Lock stuck

We have an XArm 6 that we have been using for a couple of years.
Lately, when we start the robot, one of the joints (#5) does not unlock.
All of the other joints unlock normally.

We try lock/unlock/lock/unlock several times just see if it comes unstuck
but it will not unlock that joint. If we leave the robot on for a few
hours, eventually it unlocks itself (so far). Maybe the joint has to warm up?

We’ve tried restarting everything to no avail.

Please advise. Do we need to send it in for service?

Andre Sant’Anna
Applied Anodize, Inc.

Hi Anna,

There should be a problem with J5’s brake module, causing joint5 can’t be locked/unlocked properly.
Is there any error prompted by our UFactory Studio software when trying to move joint5?

Please share the SN of the robot to support@ufactory.cc if it happens next time.

Best regards,
Minna

The error is just the typical overcurrent error because the controller tries to move the joint and it can’t because it is locked. Is this something we could fix ourselves? Maybe open the joint and add a little machine oil or something?

Thanks.

Hi Anna,

Please provide the SN of the robot, please provide the screenshot of the error.
If it is the brake issue, we have to get the arm back to replace brake module.

Best regards,
Minna

Here is the information you requested:

Serial Number:

Error Msg:

When I try to move joint 5, it just clicks twice and I get the error. Looks like the problem is permanent now. We have not been able to use the robot all day today. What is the procedure to send it in for repair?

Thanks,

Andre Sant’Anna
Director, R&D
Applied Anodize, Inc.

Hi Anna,

It doesn’t like a brake issue. For C31 error, please help to confirm the below information:

1. Do you install any end effector? Please check if the mass set at ‘settings-tcp-tcp payload’ match the actual payload.
  2. Check if the mounting direction set at ‘Settings-Mounting’ matches the actual situation.
  3. Can you see the Recording Module in the home page? I assume the friction parameters file is missing as well.
  4. Please enter ‘Settings-Motion-Sensitivity settings’ to lower the collision sensitivity and see if C31 still appears.

Best regards,
Minna

Everything seems to be OK regarding the settings you mentioned.

I’m pretty sure it is a brake issue because when I DETACH all the servos, all servos except for #5 move freely by hand. Note that for this simple test, all these settings you mentioned should have no effect since I don’t send anything to the controller after the DETACH command. I should be able to move a detached servo by hand and I can, except for servo #5. Servo #5 remains locked.

Please advise,

Andre Sant’Anna

Hi Anna,

Please send an email to support@ufactory.cc, we will arrange the pick up service to get the arm back for repair, and this arm is out of warranty.

Best regards,
Minna

Thank you!